Resource Recovery Centres
ALERT LEVEL 4 UPDATE 18 AUGUST 2021
Operations at our Resource Recovery Centres continue at Alert Level 4 as follows:
- Council will only be accepting daily household residual waste. No separated recycling will be accepted during level 4 lockdown.
- All visitor vehicle registrations and driver details may be recorded and covid QR codes will be available at all sites.
- Refuse recovery centres will be only be accepting household residual waste.
- Refuse recovery centres will not be accepting metal, wood, tires, furniture, demolition materials and green waste as well as others waste not listed here.
- Refuse recover personnel will only be directing waste drop offs. They will not be assisting with lifting or handling of waste.
- Separated recycling will not be accepted or processed by RRC staff.
- If possible Council asks the public to clean and store recyclable material, particularly glass, tin and cardboard until after the lockdown period.
- Materials that would normally be recycled can be included in the household waste but this will be going directly to landfill.
- Waste that is accepted will be at no cost.
- Due to the increased level of operations, some delays should be expected.
You will be requested to place like materials in separate areas. Pre-sorting of loads will save time for all.
|Green waste||% Recyclable||Non-recyclable|
|Ute, station wagon, |
van, small trailers
(up to 1m3)
(1m3 to 2m3)
|Small - |
- Up to
Depending on ease of handling, price by negotiation, but generally $70.00 per m3.
For loads greater than 2m3, waste depositors may have to arrange for their own transport to landfill.
Note: Council reserves the right to reject any commercial, business or industrial loads.
|Whiteware, TVs, PCs etc.||$5.00 each|
|Car bodies: Empty (no fuel or oil)||$25.00 (car bodies are only accepted at the Opotiki RRC)|
|Gas bottles||Empty||With gas|
|Up to 9.00 kg||$5.00||$10.00|
|Over 9.00 kg||$10.00||$20.00|
|Tyres||Without rims||With rims (includes $5.00 rim removal fee)|
|Car / Van||$5.00||$10.00|
|4x4 Ute or SUV||$7.00||$12.00|
|Truck – Light – 17.5”||$14.00||$19.00|
|Truck – Medium – up to 18”||$18.00||$23.00|
|Truck – Large up to 22.5”||$23.00||$28.00|
|Tractor – Small - up to 18”||$6.00||$11.00|
|Tractor – Medium – 19” – 30”||$50.00||$55.00|
|Tractor – Large – 32” – 34”||$62.00||$67.00|
|Household / Domestic Waste||The amount of refuse that would normally be generated from a residential property up to a volume of 2m3 load.|
|Commercial / Industrial / Business Waste||Any load greater than 2m3 in volume. Any waste generated from commercial, industrial or business activities, inclusive of forestry, orchard, farming and property rental activities.|
|Green Waste||Vegetation and garden waste with tree limbs up to a maximum of 100mm in diameter.|
Hours of operation
|38 Wellington Street, Opotiki|
|Thursday - Monday||8.00am to 4.00pm|
|Orete Forest Road, Waihau Bay|
|Mon/Wed/Sat||9.00am to 2.00pm|
|Copenhagen Road, Te Kaha|
|Sat/Sun/Mon/Wed||9.00am to 2.00pm|
All RRCs are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day, Day after New Year and Good Friday.
What we accept
- Aluminium cans (clean)
- Bottles (green, white, brown)
- Cans, tin (clean)
- Cardboard - corrugated, boxes
- Glass (anything that will hold liquid; not light bulbs)
- Non Fe. Metal (copper, brass, bronze, aluminium)
- Newspaper, magazines, paper (clean)
- Plastics - milk/drink bottles, supermarket bags
- Agricultural chemicals & poisons (with conditions)
- Batteries (all types)
- Car bodies (no refuse inside)
- Clean waste (concrete, stones, rubble)
- Electronics (tv,s, stereos, computers)
- Fe metal (steel, cast iron, roofing iron, tubing)
- Glass (windscreens or window glass)
- Waste oil (all types)
- Plastics (supermarket bags, cling wrap film (clean)
- Paint (acrylic, enamel, undercoat)
- Residual waste - kitchen waste, white polystyrene, disposable nappies, other
- Timber (usable for firewood)/non-reusable building materials
- Weed spray (with conditions)
- Whiteware - (fridge/freezers, dishwashers, washing machines)
- Wood shavings and sawdust
- Gas bottles
- Fence wire - free of battens, posts and wood
- Lawn clippings - Opotiki only
- Garden green materials
- Useable wood framing material - domestic quality
- Internal/external wall linings - Opotiki only
Reusable Items (accepted by negotiation only)
Bins are available for all articles that can be reused:
- Garden Tools
What we do not accept
- Explosives (Flares, Bullets)
- Hypodermic Needles
- Hot Fireplace Embers
- Vegetation other than garden material/trees.
Te Kaha and Waihau Bay
As for Opotiki above and also including:
- Internal/External Wall and Roof Linings
- Commercial quantities of timber framing/building materials
- Lawn clippings
- Agricultural chemicals
What to do with medical waste
Medicines, needles, syringes etc. can be dropped off at:
Opotiki Medical Centre, King Street, Opotiki, phone 07 3158500, or your local heath centre.