Resource Recovery Centres
COVID-19 UPDATE - Alert Level 1:
Operations at our Resource Recovery Centres continue at Alert Level 1:
Use of the NZ Covid Tracer app is encouraged. Please stay home if you are unwell. Help keep our staff safe.
All household refuse will be accepted at all sites.
All recyclables materials will be accepted at all sites.
Green waste will be accepted at all sites.
We encourage the public to clean all recyclables before disposal, specifically food-related plastics, paper, cardboard and tins.
Charges for refuse and recycling are as normal. All payments need to be made by EFTPOS - cash is not accepted.
You will be requested to place like materials in separate areas. Pre-sorting of loads will save time for all.
|Household/Domestic Waste||Green Waste||% Recyclable||Non Recycled|
Ute, station wagon, van, small trailers (up to 1m3)
Large trailers (1m3 to 2m3)
Loads greater than 2m3 (per cubic metre charge)
|Plastic Bags: (each)||Small - Less than 25 Litres$2.00||Large - Up to 75 Litres$3.00||Extra Large - over 75 Litres and wheelie bins $5.00||Wool fadge$20.00|
Depending on ease of handling, price by negotiation, but generally $70.00 per m3.
For loads greater than 2m3, waste depositors may have to arrange for their own transport to landfill.
Note: Council reserves the right to reject any commercial, business or industrial loads.
|Whiteware, TVs, PCs etc.||$5.00 each|
|Car bodies: Empty (no fuel or oil)||$25.00 (car bodies are only accepted at the Opotiki RRC)|
|Gas bottles||Up to 9.00 kg||$5.00 empty||$10.00 with gas|
|Over 9.00 kg||$10.00 empty||$20.00 with gas|
|Tyres||Without rims||With rims|
|Car / Van||$3.00||$4.00|
|4x4 Ute or Truck||$7.50||$10.00|
|Tractor or Truck||$11.00||$15.00|
|Household / Domestic Waste||The amount of refuse that would normally be generated from a residential property up to a volume of 2m3 load.|
|Commercial / Industrial / Business Waste||Any load greater than 2m3 in volume.Any waste generated from commercial, industrial or business activities, inclusive of forestry, orchard, farming and property rental activities.|
|Green Waste||Vegetation and garden waste with tree limbs up to a maximum of 100mm in diameter.|
Hours of operation
|38 Wellington Street, Opotiki|
|Thursday - Monday||8.00am to 4.00pm|
|Orete Forest Road, Waihau Bay|
|Mon/Wed/Sat||9.00am to 2.00pm|
|Copenhagen Road, Te Kaha|
|Sat/Sun/Mon/Wed||9.00am to 2.00pm|
All RRCs are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day, Day after New Year and Good Friday.
What we accept
- Aluminium cans (clean)
- Bottles (green, white, brown)
- Cans, tin (clean)
- Cardboard - corrugated, boxes
- Glass (anything that will hold liquid; not light bulbs)
- Non Fe. Metal (copper, brass, bronze, aluminium)
- Newspaper, magazines, paper (clean)
- Plastics - milk/drink bottles, supermarket bags
- Agricultural chemicals & poisons (with conditions)
- Batteries (all types)
- Car bodies (no refuse inside)
- Clean waste (concrete, stones, rubble)
- Electronics (tv,s, stereos, computers)
- Fe metal (steel, cast iron, roofing iron, tubing)
- Glass (windscreens or window glass)
- Waste oil (all types)
- Plastics (supermarket bags, cling wrap film (clean)
- Paint (acrylic, enamel, undercoat)
- Residual waste - kitchen waste, white polystyrene, disposable nappies, other
- Timber (usable for firewood)/non-reusable building materials
- Weed spray (with conditions)
- Whiteware - (fridge/freezers, dishwashers, washing machines)
- Wood shavings and sawdust
- Gas bottles
- Fence wire - free of battens, posts and wood
- Lawn clippings - Opotiki only
- Garden green materials
- Useable wood framing material - domestic quality
- Internal/external wall linings - Opotiki only
Reusable Items (accepted by negotiation only)
Bins are available for all articles that can be reused:
- Garden Tools
What we do not accept
- Explosives (Flares, Bullets)
- Hypodermic Needles
- Hot Fireplace Embers
- Vegetation other than garden material/trees.
Te Kaha and Waihau Bay
As for Opotiki above and also including:
- Internal/External Wall and Roof Linings
- Commercial quantities of timber framing/building materials
- Lawn clippings
- Agricultural chemicals
What to do with medical waste
Medicines, needles, syringes etc. can be dropped off at:
Opotiki Medical Centre, King Street, Opotiki, phone 07 3158500, or your local heath centre.