Dogs and other animals
Council's role in animal control is to register dogs, care for and impound roaming animals, deal with complaints from the public that relate to animals including dogs, promote community education on dog care and safety, and ensure that all new dogs are microchipped.
There is a legal requirement for Council to be involved in animal control activities under the Dog Control Act 1996 and the Impounding Act 1955.
Dog and other animal complaints
To contact us about an animal control problem call (07) 315 3030. This number is available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Renew your dog's registration
All dogs in New Zealand over the age of three months must be registered by law. Dog registration is renewed every year on 1 July.
A 50% penalty fee will apply for payments not made by the due date of 31 July. The owner may also have to pay an infringement fee and the dog may be impounded.
Let us know if your dog has changed owners, you have changed address, or if your dog dies, as you may be entitled to a refund.
|Dog Registration Cost||Discounted fee (applies if paid on or before 1 August)||Full fee (applies if paid after 1 August)|
|Certified disability assist dog or dogs kept for specific tasks by Government Agencies for law enforcement, security, biosecurity or civil defence purposes||Free||Free|
* At the Ordinary Council meeting on 23 April 2019, Council resolved that hunting dogs that are kept solely or principally for the purposes of hunting game by a person undertaking legal hunting activities, and that have completed avian awareness and aversion training, be declared to be working dogs for the purposes of the Dog Control Act 1996.
Replacement registration tags can be purchased for $5. You must state the reason on the registration form e.g. lost.
For a full list of the fees associated with animal management and dog registration, please see our Fees and Charges schedule PDF.
How to pay for your dog registration renewal
The easiest way is to pay online. We'll post the tag out to you. Other ways to pay are listed on your renewal invoice or see our Payment Options page.
New dog registration
- If you get a new dog, you need to register it in your name
- The cost to register puppies is at a proportion of the annual fees based on when the pup was three months of age
- If you are under 16 years of age and own a dog, it must be registered under the name of a parent or guardian
- Each dog must be registered at the address where they spend most of their time.
How to complete an application for a new dog registration
You can use our online Dog Registration Application form to submit an application to register a new dog. When we receive your application we will contact you with the amount you need to pay, and ways to make payment, before your dog's registration and tag is issued.