Local Jobs, Training and Support
Tēnā koutou! See below for current local vacancies, training, and support.
ODC's Workforce Team compile information about current vacancies, workforce focussed training being offered locally, and places to go for help and support. Fortnightly emails alert stakeholders when the information’s been updated online on the Ōpōtiki District Council website.
If you would like an email alerting you of these updates fortnightly , email email@example.com with the subject line ‘Subscribe’.
If you have a vacancy you would like to advertise on this webpage , email the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Position title and relevant details (e.g. necessary or preferred prerequisites/qualifications)
- Start date (if applicable), application closing date (if applicable), and whether full time, part time, fixed, etc.
- Contact name and number and/or email for people who are interested
- If you have a website where the job is listed, we can link to that - or similarly if it's on Trade Me or SEEK
Kia ora and welcome to this updated listing on 29 September 2022. Please keep up to speed about local Vaccination and Testing Sites via Covid-19 - Ōpōtiki District Council (odc.govt.nz) .
UPCOMING ŌPŌTIKI TRAINING:
- Confined Spaces and Gas Testing. Mon-Tues, October 31st-November 1st, 8.30am- 4.30pm. $481.50 per person + GST. To register for this course visit https://www.vhnztraining.co.nz/ and select Ōpōtiki as the location.
- Seeka Ltd – Pastoral Carer – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link. Applications close October 6
- Thompson’s Horticulture Ltd – Multiple positions for spring and summer – Permanent, fixed term, casual, full time and part time available. With the spring and summer mahi coming up, there is great opportunity for someone new to horticulture to get their foot in the door and give things a try, and school students looking for summer work are more than welcome! For more information and to apply, visit the link or contact Amy at email@example.com or 021 246 7228.
- Riverlock – Farm Assistant – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
- Riverlock – Fruit Monitoring Supervisor – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
- Prospa Orchard Management Services – Orchard Workers – Full time. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
- Thompson’s Horticulture Ltd – Compliance Assistant – Full time. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
RETAIL / HOSPITALITY
- The Big Time New Zealand – Ōpōtiki New World Merchandiser – Part time contract. For more information and to apply, visit the link. Applications close October 6
- Personnel Resources – Customer Service Assistant – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link or email your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pizza Plaza Ōpōtiki – 2 x Duty Manager – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
- Hot Bread Shop Café – Multiple positions: Baker Apprenticeship, Cook, Barista, Café Worker, Kitchen Worker – Full or part time available. Flexibility, ongoing training, and no experience required. For more information and to apply, contact Min on 021 125 6890
- Bridge St Cafe – Front of House and/or Barista & Kitchen Hand positions available. Must be able to work well in a team and have great people skills. Pop into Bridge St Cafe at 77 Bridge St for a chat or email your CV to email@example.com
ADMIN / MANAGERIAL / SERVICE BUSINESS
- Seeka Ltd – Quality Supervisor – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link. Applications close October 13
- Seeka Ltd – Employment Officer Ōpōtiki – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link. Applications close October 13
- Sybton Horticulture – Administration Assistant – Part time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link or send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pizza Plaza Ōpōtiki – Duty Manager – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
- Riverlock – Cleaner / Tea Person – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
- Riverlock – Coolstore Loadout Manager – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
- Riverlock – Production & Supply Coordinator – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
- P&M Anstis Trust – Supervisor / Trainer role – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link or email email@example.com.
- Thompson’s Horticulture Ltd – Compliance Assistant – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
TRADES AND DRIVING/OPERATING
- Waiotahi Contractors – Heavy Diesel Mechanic – Full time permanent, with rostered call-out and weekend work. For more information, visit the link. To apply, visit the link, or email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop into 80 Wellington St, Ōpōtiki.
- Robert Monk Transport Ltd – Heavy Diesel Mechanic – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link.
- Personnel Resources – Parts Manager – Full time permanent. For more information and to apply, visit the link or send your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com.
- Ōpōtiki Mechanical Services - General Workshop Hand - Full time or part time (hours negotiable to suit). For more information or to apply, contact 07 315 6526 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or call into 44 Wellington St, Ōpōtiki
- Ōpōtiki Mechanical Services - Qualified Mechanic or mechanically minded person - Full time or part time (hours negotiable to suit). For more information or to apply, contact 07 315 6526 or email@example.com, or call into 44 Wellington St, Ōpōtiki
COMMUNITY / SOCIAL SERVICES
- Ōpōtiki Golf Club – Caterer. Inquiries and CV can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07 315 7415.
- Te Kura o Tōrere – Manu Kārere – Fixed term part time (30hr/week). For more information, visit the link or phone 07 315 8224. To apply, visit the link or email email@example.com to ask for an application form.
- Ashbrook School – Teacher Aide. Searching for an educated professional who is willing to be part of the team. The position will be negotiated with the right person; it is likely the position will be working closely with senior students. For more information and to apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
TRAINING, SUPPORT AND FUNDING
Multiple forestry scholarships offered for 2023 are currently open for applications:
- Diploma in Forest Management at Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology (open to those who are Māori or identify as female, or both)
For more information and to apply, visit https://www.mpi.govt.nz/about-mpi/our-work/mpi-scholarships-and-awards/nga-karahipi-uru-rakau-forestry-scholarships/
Applications for diploma scholarships close 16 December 2022.
Trust Horizon scholarships
The Apprenticeship Award Scholarship from Trust Horizon is currently open for applications. Candidates must be:
- A New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Living in EBOP
- Provide evidence of acceptance into an approved pre-trade course/programme that is energy related.
For more information and to apply, visit: Home Page - Trust Horizon (smartygrants.com.au). Applications close 30 March 2023
- Fruition Horticulture offer a selection of Horticulture and Health and Safety training across NCEA Level 2-6, some of which are fees free. For more information visit https://www.fruition.net.nz/we-offer/training/
Employers - Training Support:
The Tertiary Education Commission provides various training cost support for employers:
- Workplace Literacy & Numeracy Fund – for more information visit https://www.skillshighway.govt.nz/get-help/funding-assistance
- Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF) – for more information visit https://www.tec.govt.nz/funding/funding-and-performance/funding/fund-finder/targeted-training-and-apprenticeship-fund/
- Apprenticeship Boost – for more information visit https://workandincome.govt.nz/work/apprentice-support/
- Māori Trades and Training Fund (MTTF) – for more information https://www.workandincome.govt.nz/providers/programmes-and-projects/maori-trades-and-training-fund.html
ADDITIONAL SUPPORT AND INFORMATION
If you’re seeking work and would like assistance to get prepared there are a number of agencies locally that can help:
- Eastbay REAP is an education-focused community and social development organisation. In our local office we can provide you with advice, support and coaching in a number of areas. Pop in to talk to one of the team who will be happy to help with any enquiry you may have. Our office hours are 9am - 3.30pm Monday to Friday. Contact them via: 93 Church Street, Ōpōtiki 3122. Phone 07-3155790, Freephone 0800-432-7327, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Y2Hub runs 12 week course for youth (16-24 years old) becoming: work ready, confident and prepared to make it happen! We offer unit standards, life skills, and promote licensing. By celebrating success, Rangatahi inspire others to raise the bar on their own terms. If this is you visit Y2Hub - 115 Church Street, Ōpōtiki or ring 07 974 6055
- Whakaatu Whanaunga Trust provide a variety of services available to anyone who may need some support, such as Whanau Support, Budgeting, CAYAD, Transitional Housing, Essential Repairs and He Poutama Rangatahi. He Poutama Rangatahi (Tuhono Mentoring) has a particular focus on supporting young people aged 16-24 years through one-on-one mentoring, into employment, or training and apprenticeships.
- Te Ara Tau programme is about reconnecting with your strengths, building on your beliefs of what you can do, and finding the motivation to fuel you to your next goal. This programme helps enhance your chances to work placement and is open entry. You can enquire at the Workforce Development Centre training hub at 122 Saint John Street, Ōpōtiki or email email@example.com
- The Ōpōtiki District Library can help you with your CV/Resume, which is a key tool used as a personal marketing document to highlight to potential employers why you're the best candidate for the job. The Ōpōtiki District Library can support you to create and develop your CV/Resume. Pop in and see our friendly staff at the corner of King and Church St, Ōpōtiki, between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday, and 9am-1pm Saturdays.
- Toi EDA Driver Operator Training assists unemployed or underemployed members of the Eastern Bay of Plenty communities to access truck, forklift, and wheels-tracks-rollers training, enabling them to seek sustainable employment across the region. We work with local employers, schools, social service providers, iwi, and trainers to facilitate pathways to employment to achieve a positive outcome for all concerned. Some scholarships are available. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Careers Coaching and Seminars are available locally by appointment. For more information and to book, contact email@example.com
- Connected was launched in August 2020 to help New Zealanders find government support for employment, education and training, including the support created in response to COVID-19. Visit the Connected website for more information https://www.connected.govt.nz/ or phone 0800 264 737 (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm). You can also pop into the local Connected centre on 24 Pyne Street, Whakatane (MSD Employment Centre) and speak to the Employment Liaison Advisor: Latdavone Saengon.
- The Ministry of Social Development delivers social services and assistance to individuals, whānau, and communities. We work directly with New Zealanders to improve their social wellbeing. We’re here to help you financially if you’re on a low income or not working, support you into work, and help you with housing. For more information go to www.workandincome.govt.nz
Reminder from the Workforce Team that we have Mayors' Taskforce for Jobs subsidies available to local employers who are taking on young people (under 30’s) who are unemployed or COVID Displaced. If you want to learn more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org