A full schedule of opening days and hours is on our Christmas and New Year Services page.
You will be requested to place like materials in separate areas. Pre-sorting of loads will save time for all.
|Household/Domestic Waste||Green Waste||% Recyclable ||Non Recycled|
|Plastic Bags: (each) ||Small - Less than 25 Litres|
|Large - Up to 75 Litres|
|Extra Large - over 75 Litres and wheelie bins $5.00||Wool fadge|
Depending on ease of handling, price by negotiation, but generally $70.00 per m3.
For loads greater than 2m3, waste depositors may have to arrange for their own transport to landfill.
Note: Council reserves the right to reject any commercial, business or industrial loads.
|Whiteware, TVs, PCs etc.||$5.00 each|
|Gas bottles||Up to 9.00 kg||$5.00 empty||$10.00 with gas|
|Over 9.00 kg||$10.00 empty||$20.00 with gas|
|Tyres||||Without rims||With rims|
|Car / Van||$3.00||$4.00|
|4x4 Ute or Truck||$7.50||$10.00|
|Tractor or Truck||$11.00||$15.00|
|Waste Definitions: |
|Household / Domestic Waste||The amount of refuse that would normally be generated from a residential property up to a volume of 2m3 load.|
|Commercial / Industrial / Business Waste||Any load greater than 2m3 in volume.|
Any waste generated from commercial, industrial or business activities, inclusive of forestry, orchard, farming and property rental activities.
Hours of operation
38 Wellington Street, Opotiki.
|Thursday - Monday ||8.00am to 4.00pm|
|Mon/Wed/Sat||9.00am to 2.00pm|
|Sat/Sun/Mon/Wed||9.00am to 2.00pm|
What we accept
- Aluminium cans (clean)
- Bottles (green, white, brown)
- Cans, tin (clean)
- Cardboard - corrugated, boxes
- Glass (anything that will hold liquid; not light bulbs)
- Non Fe. Metal (copper, brass, bronze, aluminium)
- Newspaper, magazines, paper (clean)
- Plastics - milk/drink bottles, supermarket bags
- Agricultural chemicals & poisons (with conditions)
- Batteries (all types)
- Car bodies (no refuse inside)
- Clean waste (concrete, stones, rubble)
- Electronics (tv,s, stereos, computers)
- Fe metal (steel, cast iron, roofing iron, tubing)
- Glass (windscreens or window glass)
- Waste oil (all types)
- Plastics (supermarket bags, cling wrap film (clean)
- Paint (acrylic, enamel, undercoat)
- Residual waste - kitchen waste, white polystyrene, disposable nappies, other
- Timber (usable for firewood)/non-reusable building materials
- Weed spray (with conditions)
- Whiteware - (fridge/freezers, dishwashers, washing machines)
- Wood shavings and sawdust
- Gas bottles
- Fence wire – free of battens, posts and wood
- Lawn clippings - Opotiki only
- Garden green materials
- Useable wood framing material - domestic quality
- Internal/external wall linings - Opotiki only
Reusable Items (accepted by negotiation only)
Bins are available for all articles that can be reused:
- Garden Tools
What we do not accept
- Explosives (Flares, Bullets)
- Hypodermic Needles
- Hot Fireplace Embers
- Vegetation other than garden material/trees.
- Internal/External Wall and Roof Linings
- Commercial quantities of timber framing/building materials
- Lawn clippings
- Agricultural chemicals
What to do with medical waste
Medicines, needles, syringes etc. can be dropped off at:
Opotiki Medical Centre, King Street, Opotiki, phone 07 3158500, or your local heath centre.