Official Information Request


​​​​​​​​​Ōpōtiki District Council, like any other government body, processes requests for information. These official information requests are made under the following legislations:

These aim to balance issues of transparency and public interest with limits on the disclosure of personal information.

How long will it take?

We will acknowledge your request as soon as practical and respond within 20 working days of your enquiry.  (Regional anniversary days the the end of year holiday period of 20 December to 10 January each year are not counted as working days). In most cases council can process requests at the time they're made. When we are unable to process your request, we will let you know whether or not we can grant your request within the time limit.

How do I make a request?

Your request must be specific. If your request is not specific enough, or if the information requested is held by another government organisation we will help you make your request in the proper way or to the appropriate organisation.

If your request is urgent you must provide a suitable reason for seeking urgency. We will try to process your request as soon as possible.

The easiest and quickest way to make your request is by using our online official information request form

You can also apply by:

  • Email to:

  • In person: at our office at 108 St John Street, Opotiki

  • By post to: Ōpōtiki District Council, PO Box 44, Ōpōtiki 3162

What is the cost?

If you are making a request for personal information held about yourself your request will not be charged.

For all other requests where the amount of staff time spent actioning the request exceeds one hour then each additional hour may be charged at $38. We will contact you before processing your request with an estimate of the cost if there is going to be a charge.

Photocopying will be charged at 20c per copy in excess of 20 copies.​

All other charges incurred shall be at actual and reasonable cost.

What if my request is refused?

If your request under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act is turned down and you don't think there was a good reason, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Ombudsman.

If you're not happy with the information provided under the Privacy Act you can contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.​

Related links

Page reviewed: 27 Mar 2019 12:16pm