Project Information Memorandum


​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​What is a Project Information Memorandum (PIM)?

A Project Information Memorandum (PIM) is a document issued by Council to assist in establishing the feasibility of a specific project on a piece of land, and is useful for clarifying at an early design stage what will be involved in a project.

It discloses information that may affect approval for a proposed building project such as:

  • Erosion.
  • Avulsion (removal of land by water action).
  • Falling debris.
  • Subsidence.
  • Slippage.
  • Alluvium (the deposit of silt from flooding).
  • The presence of hazardous contaminants which are likely to be relevant to the design, construction or alteration of your proposed building which are known to Council.
  • Details of water, stormwater or waste water utility systems which may relate to your project or site will also be included (where applicable).

It also identifies any additional approvals required such as:

  • Resource Management Act requirements.
  • Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga (heritage buildings / sites).
  • New Zealand Fire Service Commission.

A PIM confirms that you may carry out the building work on the land subject to:

  • The requirements of the building consent and Building Act; and
  • Any other necessary authorisations being obtained such as a Resource Consent.
Important: A PIM does not give any form of approval under the District Plan or Building Act, or
authorisation to commence work. You should contact the Council Planner to determine that your
proposal complies with the District Plan. If it does not, and Resource Consent is required, you are
strongly advised to obtain this before seeking building consent to avoid possible expensive changes
to your proposal.

Do I have to apply for a PIM?

Applying for a PIM is voluntary. However, it is advisable to obtain a PIM at the early stages of the building project. This gives the designers or developers any valuable information about potential areas of concern before proceeding to full design and applying for a building consent. This can avoid time and money spent on costly re-design.​

How do I apply for a PIM?

You can submit, manage and track applications for your PIM and/or ​​building consent from anywhere, at any time though our online serv​ices page.​​​ Our Building Consent application link will allow you to select if you want to lodge either a PIM or Building Consent or a single application for both a PIM and Building Consent.

You can also make a hardcopy PIM application by completing the Application for Building Consent and/or Project Information Memorandum form (PDF, 60KB) and submitting to us by post, in person or by email to

How long does it take?

Council is required to issue the PIM within 20 working days of the application being received. If further information is required this period is suspended until the required information has been received.​

How much does it cost?

A lodgement fee will be charged. Please note that this is a minimum fee and extra costs may be invoiced ​upon issue of the PIM. Refer to our Fees and Charges Schedule​ (PDF, 551 KB)​.

What do I do with my received PIM?

A copy of the PIM should be given to your designer so that they can use this information to ensure
that the building design is appropriate for the land on which you intend to build.​​​

​What happens if I do not apply for a project information memorandum?

The majority of building consents require input from other sections in Council so these applications are subjected to a Territorial Authority review. You will be notified though this process if a resource consent is required but will not receive any other information; however, input from other Council sections will be used in making decisions relating to the building consent application.

For further information about PIMs or building consent, please contact the Building Team.

How to arrange contact with our building team

By phone or email or in person

If you would like a member of the team to call or email you to discuss your enquiry or make an appointment to meet with you, phone us on (07) 315 3030 to lodge a call, email or appointment request or click here to use our easy online request a call, email or appointment online form​.

How long will it take us to respond?

We have set a service standard of 5 days to call or email you back to either discuss your enquiry or set an appointment date and time. And we have a service standard of 10 working days to have the appointment with you.

If your request is urgent, please note this on the form and we will do our best to respond as quickly as we can - we are a small team though and this is not always possible. Any change to our service timeframes is at the discretion of the Planning and Regulatory Manager.​

Page reviewed: 05 Jun 2019 12:56pm