THE BUILDING CONSENT PROCESS FROM START TO FINISH
Pre lodgement meetings
If you building project is for a complex addition, architecturally designed dwelling or commercial we recommend having a pre lodgement meeting with the Councils officers. At the meeting we can confirm the adequacy of the information being prepared for the application and/or highlight any areas where additional information will be required.
A pre lodgement meeting can include officers from various Council teams including the building team, resource consents, development engineering or health depending on the nature of the proposed project.
You can use our online forms to request a call or email back from our building team or to book an appointment.
Applying for a building consent
You can submit, manage and track applications for your building consent from anywhere, at any time though our online services page.
Before you begin
- Know where the property is – If your property subdivision is not fully complete, you must lodge your consent under the parent parcel and provide details of the pending Lot and DP numbers
- Know the owner and have proof of ownership – the owner is listed on the Certificate of Title or on the rates valuation
- Plans - Indicate the scale and the sheet size on each plan
- Specifications must be merged into one document in PDF format
- Supporting documents must be merged into two documents in PDF format
Registering as a new user
Submit the application
- An agent or owner can lodge the application
- The application can be shared with other interested parties (see below)
- The applicant is responsible for identifying which clauses of the building code the project complies with
- The applicant will receive an email and reference number confirming the application has been received.
Sharing the application with others
- Log in and choose the application you wish to share
- Click on the 'Share' button on the right of the application
- This will take you to the ‘User Permissions’ tab
- Enter email address and your message
- Add the permissions you wish to share and click send
- The person being sent this invite will receive an email from the applicant saying they have been invited to view this information
- Simply click on the link and register
- Once registered, the information above will appear on both the applicant’s account and the invited person.
Manage required documents
- Upload files to the correct folder (e.g. Certificate of Title into the Certificate of Title folder)
- Plans and specifications must be PDF and uploaded as one document each
- Supporting documents must be PDF, Doc or DOCX and you may upload two separate documents
- Supporting documents are to include:
- bracing calculations
- H1 calculations
- truss design
- lintel/beam design
- geotechnical report
- A copy of the building consent and approved plans must be held on site at all times. This is the applicant's responsibility
- Please clearly indicate the scale and the sheet size on each plan.
If your application is refused