Manager's Certificates


​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​At all times when alcohol is being sold or supplied to the public on licensed premises, a certified manager is required to be on duty and is responsible for compliance with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and the conditions of the licence.

Requirements for General Manager and renewal applications issued after 18 December 2013

A certificate needs to be provided to the District Licensing Committee that you have completed the Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ) bridging test.

The test contains 20 multiple-choice questions. Successful test takers will received a digital PDF certificate.  Click here to go to the ServiceIQ websi​te to take the L​CQ bridging test​.

LCQ Bridging Test


The LCQ Bridging Test is an online tool for people who have completed their LCQ training under the Sale of Liquor Act 1989 and are applying for or renewing their Manager’s Certificate.

View information on LCQ ServiceIQ regarding changes to the Licence Controller Qualification, the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act, and the LCQ Bridging Test.

The LCQ Bridging Test updates LCQ holders who trained under NZQA unit standards that were developed under the repealed Sale of Liquor Act 1989, and tests their knowledge of changes in legal obligations under the new Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

The new Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 came into effect on 18 December 2013. If you completed training for unit standard 4646 'Demonstrate knowledge of the Sale of Liquor Act 1989 and its implications for licensed premises’ as part of your LCQ training, and you wish to apply for a Manager’s Certificate to work as a manager in the hospitality industry, you need to complete the ServiceIQ LCQ Bridging Test to demonstrate knowledge of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

If you currently hold a Manager’s Certificate, when it expires you must apply to your local DLC for a new one. If you haven’t yet completed the ServiceIQ LCQ Bridging Test at that point, the DLC may issue a limited renewal certificate for a one-year grace period.

What is the difference between temporary and acting managers?

There's a difference between temporary and acting managers. It's important that operators/owners are aware of these differences and their implications.

Temporary Manager

  • If a manager is ill or absent for any reason, or is dismissed or resigns, the licensee may appoint a Temporary Manager (preferably in writing). They don't need to hold a Manager's Certificate but they must apply for a certificate within two working days after the appointment.
  • After the application is made, the Temporary Manager shall be deemed to be the holder of a Manager's Certificate until the application is determined.
  • If the appointee doesn't apply for a Manager's Certificate within two working days, or if the application is refused, the licensee must cease to employ the appointee as a Manager.

Acting Manager

A licensee may appoint an acting manager (preferably in writing):

  • for any period up to three weeks, at any one time where the licensee or a manager can't work because of illness or absence.
  • for periods up to a total of six weeks in each period of 12 months, so the licensee or manager can have some time off.

The person appointed acting manager shall be deemed the holder of a Managers Certificate and doesn't need to apply for or hold a certificate.

​Notifying the authorities of staffing changes

Under Section 231 of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act, licensees must notify the following agencies if they're appointing or terminating the employment of a manager, temporary manager, or acting manager.

The licensee must give notice to:

  • the licensing committee with which the application for the licence was filed, and
  • the Police.

You don't need to notify the authorities​ if you're appointing a temporary or acting manager for less than 48 hours.

The Opotiki DLA accepts all notifications in writing on the appropriate Notification of Management Change Form.

​For more information, email the Licensing Inspector or call 07 315 3030​.

Page reviewed: 29 Oct 2020 10:38am