Extended trading hours for the Rugby World Cup 2023
Temporary amendments to the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 (the Act) for the men’s Rugby World Cup 2023 allow eligible on-licence and club licence holders to extend their trading hours to televise live games from the tournament in France without applying for special licences.
The amendments set out the specific requirements for licensees making notifications, cancelling notifications, and displaying information about how their premises will use the extended hours.
If you intend to open outside of your usual permitted trading hours to televise Rugby World Cup 2023 games live, you must provide a notification to the relevant territorial authority (city or district council) and the nearest Police station. The notification can be for one or more games, and:
- must be in writing (either by post or email) to firstname.lastname@example.org and to local Police
- must be received by Police and Ōpōtiki District Council at least seven calendar days prior to each game, and
- must include a noise management plan.
You can extend your trading hours if:
- you hold a current club licence or an on-licence
- your main reason for extending your trading hours is to host customers to watch live games from the Rugby World Cup 2023
- your licence has not been varied or suspended under section 280 of the Act in the past year, and
- your licence has not been suspended or cancelled immediately before or during the Rugby World Cup 2023.
If you need clarification, please contact our office and speak to our Liquor Licencing Officer on 07 3153030.
Notification template Rugby World Cup 2023 (or you can use the digitised form below)
You can also notify extended trading hours via the Business Connect platform:
To submit your notification to extend trading hours for your premises through Business Connect you will need to have a RealMe login (see below). A RealMe verified identity isn’t required.
- Click Business Connecthttps://services.businessconnect.govt.nz/
- Log in using your RealMe login.
- If you don’t have a RealMe login or if it’s your first time logging onto Business Connect, you will need to verify your email address.
- From the Business Connect dashboard, click the Hospitality tab.
- Click on the Rugby World Cup extended trading hours tile to begin the form.