Wherever you pay rates it pays to vote


Do you live in one area and pay rates on a property in another?

Then you may qualify to vote more than once at the local authority elections on 12 October 2019.

If you live and vote in one council district, but also pay rates on a property in another district, you may be eligible to enrol as a non-resident ratepayer elector in that other council district.​​

Also a firm, company, trust, corporation or society which pays rates on a property may nominate one of its members or officers as a non-resident ratepayer elector, provided that the nominator and the person nominated are both registered as Parliamentary electors at addresses which are outside the council district within which the property is situated.​

In the case of partners, joint tenants and tenants in common, who collectively pay rates on a property, one of the group may be nominated to be entered on the ratepayer electoral roll. Again, the nominated person and the nominator must be registered as Parliamentary electors at addresses which are outside the council district within which the property is situated.

Eligibility to enrol or be nominated will depend on individual circumstances
In each case only one ratepayer elector can be nominated, irrespective of the number of properties owned by
the firm, company, society, trust, partnership or ratepayer in a council district.

New Ratepayer Electors
If you think you may be eligible to enrol or to nominate a person for the ratepayer electoral roll, you can download an Enrolment Form for Rate​payer Electors​ (PDF, 145KB).

If you want further information please phone toll free 0800 54 8683​ (from 15 April 2019 to 30 August 2019).

Enrol now - The Ratepayer Electoral Roll closes on 16 August 2019.

Find full information on the Opotiki District 2019 Local Government Elections​.

Page reviewed: 25 Jun 2019 4:55pm