Review of Part 8 (Animal Control) of the Consolidated Bylaws 2020
Consultation on Part 8 (Animal Control) of the Consolidated Bylaws is open from Thursday 2 September to Thursday 28 October 2021.
The review of the bylaws is in response to the ongoing health and safety issues caused by roaming horses in the Ōpōtiki township.
Statement of Proposal
We would like to hear your thoughts on the review of Part 8 (Animal Control) of the Consolidated Bylaws 2020. The bylaws have been updated to include a new definition of township and to ban the keeping, but not riding, of horses in Ōpōtiki township.
Summary of the proposal
Council has reviewed Part 8 (Animal Control) of the Consolidated Bylaws 2020 in response to the health and safety issues and increase in nuisance caused by roaming horses in the Ōpōtiki township.
Read a full copy of the Statement of Proposal – Review of Part 8 of the Consolidated Bylaws 2020 PDF 1.24MB
A hard copy of the Statement of Proposal will be available to view at the council offices after they reopen in Alert Level 2.
NOTE: Please note, the definition of ‘Township’ has been amended slightly to align with Map 1 of Schedule 2 in the bylaws. Please get in touch with Katherine Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries about this.
Have your say
Council is carrying out public consultation in order to gather and consider the views of persons interested in the matter, and for Council to fully consider the advantages and disadvantages of the review of the bylaws, to inform its final decision.
Get in touch
You can provide a submission to council by
- completing an online submission form
- emailing email@example.com with the subject line ‘Submission on bylaws’
- sending a hardcopy submission to PO Box 44, Ōpōtiki 3162
- completing a hardcopy submission form and returning it to either the council offices or the Ōpōtiki District Library.
Please note, if you are going to submit a hardcopy of your submission, these will be received by the council after the offices open in Alert Level 2.
- Thursday 2 September 2021 – consultation opens
- Thursday 28 October 2021 – consultation closes.
As the alert levels change for the country, this page will be updated with key dates about a hearing and when the bylaws will be adopted by Council.
Reports to Council:
- Tuesday 26 January 2021, Item 10 – Animal Control – Roaming Horses within Opotiki Township
- Tuesday 1 June 2021, Item 8 – Animal Control – Roaming Horses within Opotiki Township
- Tuesday 29 June 2021, Item 5 – Animal Control – Updated on Roaming Horses within Opotiki Township
- Monday 30 August 2021, Item 11 – Review of Consolidated Bylaws – Part 8, Animal Control
- Thursday 16 July 2020 – Fewer horses in urban areas is the only solution
- Thursday 20 August 2020 – Horse numbers tracking down but more action required
- Wednesday 16 September 2020 – End of the line for equine repeat offenders
If you would like to know more about this consultation, please get in touch with Katherine Hall (Policy Planner) at firstname.lastname@example.org