Enrol to vote
Voting opens on Friday 20 September 2019 and will close at 12 noon on Saturday 12 October 2019.
- Anyone who is on the electoral roll can vote in the local elections.
- If you need to do a new enrolment, update or check your details go online to www.vote.nz or call 0800 36 76 56 to ask for a form to be sent to you, or pick up an enrolment form from any Post Shop.
Don't forget - you need to be enrolled to vote. Jump on to www.vote.nz to get sorted.
Who you can vote for
Opotiki district is made up of three electoral wards. Where you live, determines which ward you get to vote in and how many elected members you get to vote for. The only exception to this is your vote for Mayor.
In Opotiki, elections will be for the following positions:
Mayor (elected at large)
- Coast Ward (1)
- Waioeka/Waiotahe Ward (2)
- Opotiki Ward (3)
Community Board Members (4)
- Coast Community (4)
Bay of Plenty Regional Council Members (either 2 members from the Eastern Bay of Plenty General Constituency, or 1 member from the Kohi Constituency)
Bay of Plenty District Health Board Members (7 members elected ‘at large’).
Do you want to stand for Council or the Coast Community Board?
Here are the key dates for 2019 you need to know:
- 19 July – nominations open (nomination papers will be on our website from this time)
- 16 August – candidate nominations close at 12 noon
- 21 August – candidate details are published
Facts, timetable and FAQs
Do you live in one area and pay rates on a property in another?
Elections policies, protocols and guidelines
News releases and media
1 - Council prepares for local body elections - 15 March 2019
2 - Wherever you pay rates it pays to vote - 22 May 2019
3 - Get information and support before nominations open - 24 June 2019
Council supports the LGNZ Vote2019 campaign. It's about encouraging informed debate, supporting candidates as they stand, and promoting voting in the October elections. Check out www.vote2019.co.nz