Planning Guidance and Resource Consents


​​​​​​​​Will you need a Resource Consent?

Opotiki District Council issues two types of resource consent covering land use and subdivisions.

Any development, be it subdivision or other proposed use of a site, must be assessed against the Council's District Plan. Anything not permitted by the plan requires a resource consent.

You only need to apply for a Land Use Resource Consent if a building or proposed activity doesn't comply with the current district plan.

You need a Subdivision Resource Consent if a new section is to be created from an existing section, or you're planning to adjust the boundary of your property.

The District Plan allows some activities to proceed as a Permitted Activity. There are differences, depending on whether a site is in a Residential, Rural, Coastal, Coastal Settlement, Ohiwa Harbour, Industrial, Mixed Activity or Town Centre Zone. If a proposal does not comply with the standards for the zone it occupies, then a resource consent is required.

Activities that may require a resource consent range from building too close to the boundary, to planning a new multi-level apartment building, to wanting to set up a work from home business.

Resource consent applications have a statutory processing timeframe of 20 working days, provided all the relevant information is attached and the application can be processed without limited or public notification.

How to arrange contact with our planning and resource consents team

Feedback and requests for further advice at an early stage is encouraged.

By phone or email

If you would like a member of the team to call or email you to discuss your enquiry you can phone us on (07) 3153030 to lodge a call or email return  request or click here to use our Request a call or email return online form.

In person

If you would like to come in and meet with a member of the team you can either call us on (07) 3153030 to lodge an appointment request or click here to use our Request an appointment online form.

How long will it take us to respond?

We have set a service standard of 5 days in which to call or email you back to either discuss your enquiry or set an appointment date and time. And we have a service standard of 10 working days to have the appointment with you.

If your request is urgent please note this on the form and we will do our best to respond as quickly as we can - we are a small team though and this is not always possible. Any change to our service timeframes is at the discretion of the Planning and Regulatory Manager.

How to apply for a Resource Consent

You will need to complete a Resource Consent Application (PDF, 34KB).   An initial fee for processing this application will be charged at the time of lodgement in accordance with the Planning and Resource Management Fees and Charges schedule (PDF, 678KB).

Further information on fees, and information that is required to be lodged with your application, can be found in the Resource Consent Application document.

How to make a submission on a Resource Consent

You will need to complete a Submission on Resource Consent application form​ (PDF, 143KB).

You can scan the completed form and email to us at, post to PO Box 44, Opotiki 3162 or drop in to our Customer Services desk at 108 St John Street, Opotiki.

Resource Management Hearings

Notification of Hearing - Ohiwa Cove - Subdivision

10.00am Thursday, 19 April 2018

Independent Hearing Commissioner – Russell De Luca

Applicant – Ōhiwa Cove Limited

Address – Ōhiwa Harbour Road, Opotiki

Application – Resource consent (subdivision and land use) – nine lot subdivision, dwelling and disturbance of contaminated soil.

Council officer's Section 42A Report

RC-2017-43 Ohiwa Cove S42A Report (PDF, 4MB)

Applicants submissions


Page reviewed: 05 Apr 2018 5:22pm