​​​​​​​​​​​​​Food Premises

When opening your own food business it is important to know about the standards required and the correct application procedures. The Council provides information and guidelines to help businesses meet these standards.​

Food businesses must operate under the Food Act 2014.

How to apply

If your business operates from a single premises, you can apply for registration of a food premises using the  One Site Operation Application form (PDF, 252KB).  If you operate from more than one premises you can apply using the multi site application form​ Multi Site Operation Application Form​ (PDF, 544KB).

Change of ownership

If you are purchasing an existing business, you’ll need to apply for your own Certificate of Registration. Transfer of registration is no longer available.

Legal requirements

Food premises, whether fixed or permanent, are required to comply with the Food Act 2014.

Once an application form and the required payment is received you will receive a Certificate of Registration within 20 working days.  Please note you are not permitted to trade until you receive your Certificate of Registration.

If you operate under a Template Food Control Plan, a verification will be carried out after 1 month to ensure compliance with your Food Control Plan. 

If you operate under a National Programme you must organise your own verification within 1 month of registration. 

Find full information here: Ministry for Primary Industries - Food Safety.

Mobile Traders

A mobile shop is a vehicle from which goods or services are offered or sold. Mobile shops selling food must meet the requirements of any relevant food laws and be registered under the Food Act 2014. ​

No person can engage in trading in any public place without first obtaining a licence from the Council.

Mobile Traders must adhere to the Opotiki District Council Trading in Pub​lic Places Bylaw 2008 (PDF 400KB).

To apply for a licence, complete the Application for Mobile Trader (PDF, 339KB) and pay the required fee. Details can be found in our Fees and Charges schedule​​ (PDF, 148KB).

Hawkers and Itinerant Traders

A hawker is a person who sells goods door to door​.

No person can engage in trading in any public place without first obtaining a licence from the Council.

Hawkers and Itinerant Traders must adhere to the Opotiki District Council Trading in Public P​laces Bylaw 2008​ (PDF, 400KB).

To apply for a registration certificate, complete the Application for Hawkers and Itinerant Traders​ (PDF, 46KB)​ and pay the required fee.  Details can be found in our Fees and Charges schedule​​​ (PDF, 148KB).

​​​​​​​Application forms

Food Premises

Application form for one site operation (PDF, 249KB)

Application form for multi site operation​ (PDF, 544KB)

Mobile Traders and Hawkers

Application for Mobile Trader (PDF, 339KB)

Application for Hawkers and Itinerant Traders (PDF, 46KB​)

Street Stall

Please note that you will need to get the approval of the shop owner outside of which you would like to hold your stall.

Under the Shop Trading Hours Act 1990 a stall can only be held on a restricted trading day if it is selling "prepared or cooked food ready to be eaten immediately". Any other activity (e.g. selling raffle tickets, promoting services) would be prohibited unless the stall is part of a bona fide exhibition or show.

These restrictions will apply on Easter Sunday unless you act in accordance with ODC's Local Easter Sunday Shop Trading Policy and in accordance with the requirements of the Shop Trading Hours Act 1990.

We will let you know if your application is approved or declined.  If your application is approved we will email you a signed copy of the completed form.​

Application for Street Stall licence (PDF, 23KB)​ or APPLY ONLINE NOW


Where do I fit? tool​ - online guide to find out how the Food Act 2014 applies to your business

Safe food stalls guide​ (PDF, 148KB)

Food safety tips for event organisers guide​ (PDF, 495KB)

Hot tips for a safe and successful sausage sizzle guide​ (PDF, 426KB)

Environmentally friendly events guide​ (PDF, 58KB)​

Overview of Food Act 2014​​​​​​​​

The Food Act 2014 came into force on 1 March 2016. It takes a new approach to managing food safety. Find out more about the Food Act and what it means for you.

The Food Act 2014 applies to new food businesses and suppliers who begin trading from that date.

Existing businesses will come under the new law over a three-year period from this date; the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 will then be revoked.

Businesses do not need to make any immediate changes until the new law commences and consultation has been completed on the regulations and notices.

However, some of the specific sections relating to food recall and the ability to manage a food safety incident have changed and are in force now.

The new law recognises that each business is different and is a positive step forward from the old Act and its one-size-fits-all approach to food safety.

The central feature of the new Act is a sliding scale where businesses that are a higher risk from a food safety point of view will operate under more stringent food safety requirements and checks than lower risk food businesses.

Higher-risk food businesses – for example those that prepare and sell meals or sell raw meat or seafood – will operate under a written food control plan (FCP). In the plan businesses identify food safety risks and steps they need to take to manage these risks. The FCP can be based on a template or business owners can develop their own plan to suit their individual business.

Businesses that produce or sell low to medium risk foods – like non-alcoholic beverages, for example – will come under national programmes. There are three levels of national programmes, based on the level of food safety risk.

Businesses under national programmes won’t have to register a written plan, but will have to make sure they are following the requirements for producing safe food that will be set out in regulations. This includes having to register their business details, keep minimal records and have periodic checks. 

The new Act provides a clear exemption to allow Kiwi traditions like fundraising sausage sizzles or home baking at school fairs to take place. The only rule will be that food that is sold must be safe.

Growing food for personal use, sharing it with others or ‘bring a plate’ to a club committee meeting, or providing lunch for a visiting sports team or social group, is outside the scope of the Food Act. The Act only covers food that is sold or traded.

To implement the Food Act and to support the regulations, MPI has developed a package of materials, including:

  • a food control plan development manual to assist food businesses to develop a custom food control plan
  • food control plan templates for food retail and food service activities
  • guidance for food businesses operating under national programmes
  • guidance for food sectors that are exempt from having to operate under a national programme or food control plan
  • guidance for verifiers and evaluators of food businesses operating under the new food safety regime.​

Find full information here: Ministry for Primary Industries - Food Safety​

Page reviewed: 05 Mar 2018 9:29am